Review of the British Thoracic Society Winter Meeting 2011, 7–9 December, London, UK
- Hannah Kelly Bayes1,
- Alistair Colin Church2,
- Andrew J Fisher3 On behalf of the BTS Science and Research Committee
- 1Institute of Infection, Inflammation and Immunology, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
- 2Department Respiratory, Scottish Pulmonary Vascular Unit, Glasgow, UK
- 3Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University, Newcastle, UK
- Correspondence to Professor Andrew J Fisher, Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University Medical School, Framlington Place, Newcastle Upon Tyne NE2 4HH, UK;
Contributors Review research and writing: HKB, ACC and AF; concept: AF.
- Received 7 January 2012
- Accepted 11 January 2012
This is the second annual review of the British Thoracic Society Winter Scientific Meeting held from 7–9 December 2011, which was attended by over 2000 delegates. Although a wide spectrum of respiratory research was presented at the meeting, the content of the review focuses specifically on three key themes: cystic fibrosis, pulmonary vascular disease and thoracic oncology. Advances in clinical and translational respiratory research presented within the major symposia and spoken sessions related to these areas are summarised. Additional sessions recognising topics relevant to the forthcoming 2012 London Olympics are also highlighted.
- Cystic fibrosis
- lymphocyte biology
- non invasive ventilation
- primary pulmonary hypertension
- pulmonary embolism
- pulmonary vasculitis
- airway epithelium
- cystic fibrosis
- cytokine biology
- innate immunity
- interstitial fibrosis
- lung proteases
- lung transplantation
HKB and ACC made an equal contribution to this review.
Competing interests None.
Provenance and peer review Commissioned; externally peer reviewed.