- 1Chest Clinic, Whipps Cross University Hospital, London, UK
- 2Somerset Lung Centre, Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton, UK
- 3Royal College of Physicians, London, UK
- Correspondence to C M Roberts, Chest Clinic, Whipps Cross University Hospital, London E11 1NR, UK;
- Accepted 17 February 2011
- Published Online First 8 March 2011
We thank Mydin et al1 for their interest in our article.2 They contend that the main findings are explained by patient selection and that for many of these patients management with non-invasive ventilation (NIV) is inappropriate and end-of-life care pathways should be introduced instead.
We agree that patient selection is one of the important explanations for the difference in outcomes of observed clinical practice when …